Sunday, November 2, 2014

Days 2 and 3

So, I’m a day behind in blogging due to some internet issues yesterday. Here’s the post from yesterday and little about today… On Saturday, we experienced an exciting day at the Great Wall and Forbidden City, as we got to know each other better. The Forbidden City was huge! And the detail on the buildings was amazing. The Chinese are very talented people. We have seen many different artists in action as we walked through the markets at both places. We saw a man hand carving pictures in a piece of marble, a man palm/finger painting beautiful paintings, and many more amazing artists at work. We also toured a factory where they make Cloisonné, which is ancient technique for decorating metalwork. (See the picture below). The process is very lengthy and was quite interesting to learn about. The final product is beautiful! I now wish I would have taken pictures of all of these artists at work and their final products. That’s the amateur blogger in me coming out! I do have a picture of the process from the Cloisonné factory and a huge vase. See below.
The great wall was pretty awesome! The steps were SO steep and some of them were calf- height, so it was literally “climbing”! They were also very uneven, too, so you had to really watch where you were stepping. I set out to reach the top. Ha! I was only able to make it to the first tower, but it was far enough to buy the shirt that says “I climbed the Great Wall!” This is definitely something that I never imagined I would actually get to do!
So far the food continues to be very good! It’s all served family style (here’s a picture of our lunch at the Cloisonné Factory).
They serve us SO MUCH food at each meal. I have no idea how the Chinese are such thin people. I guess it’s the chopsticks…makes for very slow eating and the plates are very small, too. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the vegetables. They eat broccoli and cauliflower and corn! Who would have thought they eat corn in China! Although I have to say, eating corn with chopsticks…very tricky! So far we’ve only had a few questionable foods (as in, we couldn’t figure out what it was). Surprisingly, I’ve been pretty open to trying the new things. There’s only been a couple of things I just couldn’t stomach…one being a shrimp on a stick with eyes, legs, and all. While we are used to peeling the shrimp before eating it, some of our Chinese guests were eating the whole thing. I did not try this delicacy, as you know, I am not keen on shrimp, anyway. Some of the foods I have tried include: roast duck which was sliced and you wrapped it up in a very thin tortilla-like wrap that they called a “pancake”, lotus root, slices of pumpkin dipped in the yolk of a duck egg and then fried (which, by the way, was quite delicious), some sticky sweet potato treats (don’t know what they were called, but they were fabulous!), and tonight we had hot corn juice to drink with our dinner. Different, but delicious! I have really been enjoying learning about an experiencing the culture here. There are many things that are so different. The food, of course, but also the toilets (we call them squatty potties…oh the things we take for granted sometimes, such as our western toilets and having toilet paper in the stalls), the social pragmatics, and the driving. Oh my goodness, the driving! The traffic laws over here are more like suggestions. It’s best just to close your eyes and pray when it comes to the rides in the van. The best part, so far, has been getting to know everyone on the team. We are so diverse in age and from all over the US—Texas, Minnesota, Virginia, Kentucky, and of course Tennessee. We have several young girls on the trip, too, (about half the team) and the rest are around my age, give or take a few years). It’s amazing to me and so cool to see such young girls already so devoted and in tune with God! It’s only been two days and I feel like I everyone so well already. I can only imagine how close we will all be by the end of the trip. Here we all are.
Today we traveled to the city where the orphanage is and had dinner with some of the orphanage staff. Our flight was smooth and uneventful, which as good thing! We are just resting in the hotel the rest of the evening. And tomorrow, we meet the kids! I’m so excited to meet the kids and to see how God is going to use me on this trip. I have been so curious as to what my purpose in this is and why God has called me to do this so suddenly (at least it felt sudden). I look forward to it being revealed. Pray that my eyes will be opened to His will for me during all of this and for all of our team members and that we will be open to and willing to say “Yes” to whatever he calls us to do during and after the trip! More to come soon…

1 comment:

  1. Tara, I thought you might be there with my friend Lyn! We've been agency/blog buddies for years. Haven't actually met, but have supported each other along! Now that I see the pic, I know it is the Lyn I know! Tell her I said hello!!! You are looking great! All of you!!! By now, it is morning of the big day when you go to the place you'll visit this week. I'm praying for your team all the time. I have NO DOUBT God is already using you on the trip!!!

    ReplyDelete